Stalingrad is a Paris Métro station on the border between the 10th arrondissement and the 19th arrondissement at the intersection of lines 2, 5, and 7, located at the Place de la Bataille-de-Stalingrad, which is named for the Battle of Stalingrad.History
The Line 2 station opened as Rue d'Aubervilliers, named after a nearby street, on 31 January 1903 as part of the extension of line 2 from Anvers to Bagnolet (now called Alexandre Dumas). On 5 November 1910, a separate underground station was opened as part of the first section of line 7 between Opéra and Porte de la Villette a short distance away in the Boulevard de la Villette and named after it. In 1942, the two stations combined to form Aubervilliers – Boulevard de la Villette. The line 5 opened its corresponding station on 12 October 1942 as part of its extension from Gare du Nord to Église de Pantin. In 1946, the section of the Boulevard de la Villette near the station was named the Place de Stalingrad in honour of the Soviet victory at the Battle of Stalingrad and the station's name was changed to Stalingrad at the same time.Nearby attractions
Nearby are the Rotonde de la Villette (part of the Barrière Saint-Martin, a gate built for the collection of taxation as part of the Wall of the Farmers-General between 1784 and 1788), the Bassin de la Villette (an artificial lake) and the Canal Saint-Martin.Station layout Gallery References Roland, Gérard (2003). Stations de métro. D’Abbesses à Wagram. Éditions Bonneton.