Add a story

Religious site/building in Naples by Gazettr

 

San Gregorio Armeno
 by Gazettr

Built on the site of a Roman temple to the fertility goddess Ceres, the 16th-century church of San Gregorio owes its unflagging popularity to the cult of Santa Patrizia, whose relics are conserved here and whose blood allegedly liquefies not only on her feast day (25 August), when impressive celebrations ...

San Giovanni a Mare
 by Gazettr

So-called because the sea (il mare) used to lap against its walls, this 12th-century building is the only surviving Norman church in Naples. The foundations of the original apse can be viewed at the junction of the nave and the 13th-century transept. The first side altar on the left - ...

San Giovanni a Carbonara
 by Gazettr

This 14th-century church stands at the top of a dramatic flight of steps (added in 1707 by Ferdinando Sanfelice) above the modern church of the same name. At the head of the staircase, the chapel of Santa Monica has a marble Gothic portal. The church entrance is to the left ...

San Francesco di Paola
 by Gazettr

One of Naples' neoclassical rarities, San Francesco is surprisingly unpopular with the locals. Flanked by curving colonnades reminiscent of Saint Peter's square, the church itself is an imitation of Rome's Pantheon. It was erected in 1817 by King Ferdinando, in thanks for the repossession of his kingdom after the period ...

Gesù Nuovo
 by Gazettr

This church is among the most extravagant baroque churches in the world! Embellished with diamond-shaped stonework, the façade of this extraordinary church was part of a 15th-century palazzo, before being transformed into a church for the Jesuit order at the end of the 16th century. The stones present strange signs ...

San Lorenzo Maggiore (church)
 by Gazettr

More or less returned to its original 13th-century appearance thanks to post-war restoration work, the vast, stern interior of this much-used church is in stark contrast to the tiny Baroque façade (1742), which was designed by Ferdinando Sanfelice. It was here that the Decameron's Boccaccio fell in love with Fiammetta; ...

San Paolo Maggiore
 by Gazettr

This lofty, majestic church, dating from the end of the 16th century, stands on the site of a Roman temple to Castor and Pollux. In front of the façade are two tall, white fluted pillars from the temple. The interior is notable for the colossal size of its Latin-cross interior, ...

Duomo San Gennaro
 by Gazettr

Naples' cathedral dates from the fourth century, when the basilica of Santa Restituta was founded. In the late 600s the cathedral of Santa Stefania was constructed perpendicular to the original basilica, and at the end of the 13th century the current Duomo was built over Santa Stefania, incorporating Santa Restituta ...

San Lorenzo Maggiore (archaeological site)
 by Gazettr

At the heart of the most densely populated city in Europe, you can stand in silence and feel as if you've been whisked back to Graeco-Roman Neapolis. Excavations of this astonishing archaeological site are still under way, but have so far revealed sections of the city streets as they were ...

Pio Monte della Misericordia
 by Gazettr

Pio Monte della Misericordia was established in 1601 by seven Neapolitan nobles, with the purpose of providing interest-free loans to the needy. Borrowers would leave items as security which could be auctioned if the loans were not repaid. The confraternity still exists today, and donates funds to schools, churches and ...

San Domenico Maggiore (church)
 by Gazettr

This vast, castellated church has an extraordinary rear entrance, with a curved double flight of marble steps leading up from the piazza. However, it is best entered from the side street, Vico San Domenico. Here, the porticoed entrance dates from the late 13th century, when the church was built, incorporating ...

San Pietro a Maiella
 by Gazettr

Approached from Via dei Tribunali, San Pietro looks for all the world like an English country church, with its cusp-shaped spire of tufa stone. Dating from the early 14th century, the interior has preserved many of its original Angevin features. The round and pointed arches contrast with the elaborate coffered ...

San Pietro ad Aram
 by Gazettr

In the first century AD, the sea almost reached the current site of the Stazione Centrale, lapping against what would later become the estates of the convent of San Pietro ad Aram. It was here, according to local legend, that St Peter was driven ashore by a storm that stopped ...

Santa Chiara
 by Gazettr

The church and convent of Santa Chiara was built for Robert of Anjou's wife Sancia in the early 14th century, and has always been a favourite with local aristocracy. Its Gothic features were hidden by Baroque restructuring in the mid 18th century, before a direct hit in an air raid ...

Santa Maria del Carmine
 by Gazettr

Boasting the city's tallest bell tower, at 75m (246ft), the church is part of an ancient complex. It includes a convent, which still provides succour for the needy and homeless.

Santa Maria del Purgatorio ad Arco
 by Gazettr

The three bronze skulls on the railings (a fourth was stolen in the 1950s), and its popular name, cap'e morte ('death's head'), are clues to why this 17th-century church has such a hold on Neapolitans. This was the centre of a death cult, in which people would adopt and look ...

Santa Maria Donnaregina
 by Gazettr

Step through the 17th-century portal and into a dainty porticoed cloister. On the left is the door to the deconsecrated 14th-century church, which is now incorporated into MADRe and has the same visiting hours. It was abandoned from the 1600s to the 1850s, eclipsed by the 17th-century church next door ...

Sant'Angelo a Nilo
 by Gazettr

Also known as the Cappella Brancaccio, on account of its association with the family of that name, this church contains the fine marble tomb of Cardinal Rinaldo Brancaccio. Housed in a chapel to the right of the altar, it was made in Pisa in 1426; Donatello had a hand in ...

Sant'Anna dei Lombardi
 by Gazettr

Sant'Anna dates from the early 15th century, though it was refurbished in the 17th century and rebuilt after wartime bombing. Inside, its Renaissance sculptures include an extraordinary group of terracotta statues, Mourning the Death of Christ, by Guido Mazzoni (1492). The sacristy has a fine ceiling frescoed by Giorgio Vasari ...

Sant'Eligio Maggiore
 by Gazettr

This extraordinary 13th-century church was badly damaged in 1943; subsequent restoration work uncovered much of the original building. Sant'Eligio was the first church built in Naples by the Angevin monarchs. The leaping vertical height of the interior is accentuated by ribs and groin vaults. Outside, the fine Gothic archway and ...

Santissima Annunziata
 by Gazettr

The church owes its current appearance to Carlo Vanvitelli's mid 18th-century design. However, the whole Annunziata complex dates from the 14th century. It includes a courtyard and fountain, and a foundling wheel (ruota). Such wheels were once common throughout Italy and Spain. Women would place their unwanted newborn babies in ...

comments powered by Disqus